Homemade Soy Yogurt is made from soy milk and add live yogurt bacteria, through the same steps like the dairy yogurt making.
Soy yogurt is good for people who is allergy on the dairy milk, it may help high blood pressure, diabetes, and some other disease.
If you have a plan to reduce some weight, homemade soy yogurt is a good and healthy way to do it.
It is difficult to find soy yogurt in you local supermarket, but you can try to find it at some health food shops.
You also can make your homemade soy yogurt at home, use the same method as the dairy mike yogurt.
In here we will show you how to use the slow cooker making your own homemade soy yogurt.
Here is what we need:
1. Pour the 1/2 gallon ( 8 cups) soymilk into crockpot;
2. Turn on the crockpot to low heat setting for about 2.5 hours;
3. Turn off the slow cooker and let the milk cool off for about 3 hours; you can check the milk temperature is about 115F. It is better between 110F-120F. You can add 1/3 cup sugar or other sweetener now, as it will help the culture works in soymilk.
4. Add 1 cup plain soy yogurt into the bowl and spoon some of the warm soymilk from thecrockpot, and mix well.
5. Pour this mixture back into the warm soymilk and stir it, this will help to mix the mixture and soymilk.
6. Cover with the big towel and let it sit for about 8-12 hours, depends your room temperature, the longer time it takes the thicker it will be and will get a more sour taste.
7. Now the soymilk has become soy yogurt, when you remove the lid, you will see the soy yogurt have some liquid on it, this is normal, and this liquid is called "whey". The soy yogurt has more "whey" than regular milk yogurt, you can use 4 layers cheese cloth to drain it off if you want to. I like to keep the whey in there, so I save this step for myself.
8. I gently take out about one cup into a clean box, and keep it in the refrigerator for up to a week, for next times yogurt starter.
9. Move the rest of the yogurt into clean boxes or bottles, and refrigerate. Afer 4-6 hours, it will be nice and creamy plain soy yogurt.
10. Add sugar or other sweetener to fit your sweet taste, you can also make any flavours soy yogurt as the regular plain yogurt.
11. Now enjoy your homemade soy yogurt!
If you like Greek style yogurt, you can try to make your own Soy Greek Yogurt. It is easy and simple.
The cost for this homemade soy yogurt was about: 1/2 gallon soymilk about $2.67, the 32oz plain soy yogurt about $4.00, I only use one cup (about 8 oz, about $1.00)so total was about $3.67, and you'll get 1/2 gallon(64 oz) plain yogurt. It really saves a lot and you get healthy food.
(All the price here is at 2011, I didn't count the electrical bill.)
If you want to save more money and eat healthier, try and make your own homemade soy milk.
Want to know how to make homemade soy milk by using a Soy Milk Maker, click here.
If you are interesting to make your own homemade soy milk without soy milk maker?
*$3.99 Flat Rate Standard Shipping
Within the Contiguous U.S. (excluding Hawaii, Alaska, Puerto Rico and U.S. Territories) for only $3.99 per order/address.
Buy more & save more!